Epilogue? Or more likely an afterthought? Halfway through devouring this oh-so-delicious-yet-simple meal I decided it needed its picture taken.
After the intense run in where I thought my life was going to end. (I'm into dramatics at the moment- bare with me). Hunger set in. Naturally.
In the middle of nowhere like a mirage we see a little sign that says "jatetxea" or in other words, "restaurant" in Basque. We pull up to this eh, restaurant? That looks much more like someones home. We nervously walk up the steps and peek our heads in the door, where we meet a woman who eagerly ushers us in and takes us to her dining room. Still not sure whether this is really a restaurant or her home we reluctantly take a seat and before we can say anything she is gone.
Not too long after she leaves us sitting there- unsure of what may come next- we hear her shouting outside, then the stop of a lawn mower, and a man comes in. Her husband. A sweet old man that makes my heart squeeze just a little as he reminds me of my favorite person in the whole world- my grandpa, who left this world way to soon. The reason why I am so fond of my Basque name.
He greets us and my husband engages him in conversation. I love hearing my husband speak Spanish. It's beautiful. He tells us his wife has three meals prepared today that we can choose from. We choose something simple. Eggs, fries, chorizo, and beans.
This meal may not seem like much and maybe that's what made it so special. For something so simple to have so much flavor was something truly unexpected. Much like this trip.
From the stunning drive, to seeing my sign, and the excitement of men with guns, to capping it all off with a delicious meal given to us by a man that reminded me of my Basque grandpa all while being in the land of Ulibarri is certainly something that won't be soon forgotten.
I couldn't have asked for better way to end one of the most meaningful and memorable days of my life- and I couldn't think of a better person to have shared it with then my husband.
Thank you husband for making this all happen.

1 comment:
Cute little story. I'm glad nobody there pulled out guns, hahaha.
Post a Comment