When husband brought up the idea of traveling to Spain- I can't say I was crazy about it. Spain was around number 13 on my list of places to see- however the draw of going to Basque Country, the land where my family tree is rooted, the birth place of my last name- the last name I refused to give up when I got married... I couldn't say no to making it my first European experience- in a sense it was like I was going home.
Spending time in the Basque region was absolutely the best part of the whole trip. From driving through the countryside and venturing out to the heart of the region- where few tourists will ever go. The calming beach town of San Sebastian, to the people and culture and of course the food. The food. We can't forget the Basque food- my dads deep love for food- and liquor makes complete sense now.
The region of my family's name, Ulibarri, was one that was definitely off the beaten path. Deep, deep, in the Basque mountains, where the only language spoken is their native tongue, Euskara, and where our GPS was surely out of its league.
Deep in the country is also where in no doubt members of the Basque Nationalist Movement (ETA) hide from the Madrid Army. To Madrid and other parts of Europe the ETA are known as a terrorist organization. The ETA is a movement created to keep the Basque culture alive after the oppression they received from/after the Franco area- I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the political conflict. And I only tell you this as a back story- to the story I am about it share from our venture to the land of Ulibarri...
And how my name may have well saved us . . .
And how my name may have well saved us . . .

No comments:
Post a Comment